Tuesday, February 4, 2020

My Introduction to Historical Romance

I read “To Sir Phillip, With Love” for the first time as an ARC 
(advanced review copy) back in 2003, shortly before its official release.  It was the first historical romance I ever read.  I found the book so enjoyable and memorable that, right there, my love for historical romances was born.  This was a few months after I had discovered romance via erotic romance at Ellora’s Cave.  After pretty much buying everything that publisher had available in their catalogue up to that date, I wanted to further explore the genre, and felt that historical romance might be worth trying.

Around that time, I had joined three different review websites’ reviewer teams, all of which are now gone.  The advent of blogs and blogger reviews pretty much started eroding that territory (reviews websites) until pretty much every single reviews website was shut, with few exceptions.  The sites I joined were Timeless Romance, Just Erotic Romance Reviews (for which I was one of the managers for a while), and another two whose names I can’t remember any longer, as my memory hasn’t exactly improved with age.

Going back to the topic at hand, “To Sir Phillip, With Love” was a love-at-first-sight deal for me.  First, I fell in love with Julia Quinn’s books, as I went to research her and found this book was part of her then ongoing Bridgertons series, and that she had a few previous titles and series which, of course, I decided to read.   I have to say that I am glad I had no vices like smoking or drinking, because I started spending quite a bit of money on books… which is also the main reason I joined reviews websites to begin with.  Review websites offered me the chance to get my hands on books to read, without spending a dime, and all I had to do was submit a review in exchange.

As part of my blog “revival” mission, I intend to re-visit some of those early romance titles that made an impression on me.  “To Sir Phillip, With Love” is going to be the first one.  The review will be posted separately.

On a side note, Julia Quinn’s Bridgertons series is being adapted for T.V. by Shonda Rhymes, for Netflix.  I am not familiar with Rhymes at all, but it seems like she was produced some rather popular shows, i.e., “Orange is the New Black”, among others.  I might write a post about this as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment