Sunday, July 28, 2019

"Wicked Angel" by Julia London


THERE ARE GOING TO BE SPOILERS IN THIS POST, SO DON'T READ THIS COMMENTARY POST IF YOU WANT TO READ THE STORY AND SPOILERS BOTHER YOU:
S
P

I
L
E
R
SPACE

I recently decided to try Julia London books.  Though I've been familiar with her name for years now, I don't think I ever tried to read any of her books in the past.  So far I've tried to read two titles and both have been the "skip-to-my-Lou" types of reads.  First of all, I do have to say I like this author's writing style quite a bit.  I find her style fluid and appealing.  Sadly, other equally important elements (characters, plot devices) were not my cup of tea.  Main reason I am not calling this post a review is because I did skip large chunks of the book I am going to talk about.  I did want to comment on it though precisely because I wanted so much to like this book.  I do like the author's writing style, as I said before.  Additionally, I actually did like the beginning 1/3 of the story.

 "Wicked Angel" sports what I call a TSTL heroine (think 1937 cartoon Snow White).  This is apparent from the beginning, and the heroine herself, early on in the story, does realize how stupid she really is... I should have taken that as the "red flag" it actually is.  The heroine is oblivious to her extraordinary beauty, makes incredibly idiotic decisions because she's oh so noble and good.  Frankly, however, no matter how much the author justifies the heroine's actions, it just doesn't work out.  It's the sort of thing that worked in the 1930s Disney movie "Snow White"... but in modern times, 21st Century... erm... NOPE.  You would have to have some sort of learning disability to be that naive and trusting.  Even the most naive individual, given her circumstances and her alleged priorities (she takes care of several orphans, but her home is pretty much bankrupt) wouldn't have made the sort of choice she made just off the bat ... yes, it is explained, and she realizes what she did was, in hindsight, a bad decision, but still, it comes across as weak ... and we are talking here about just the beginning to the story. 

The hero has to be one of the biggest selfish jerks I've ever had the misfortune of reading.  He had a fiancée , he allowed that fiancée to continue with wedding arrangements/planning, meanwhile, he was allowing himself to be seen drooling over the heroine in public, figuratively speaking, among other things... and yes, he does go all the way with the heroine despite STILL being engaged to marry...and the reader is supposed to be okay with that?  In short, he deserved a kick in the balls.

Despite the someone stupid heroine, I was okay for the first 1/3 of the book ... and then I just couldn't believe what was going on and so, the skipping started.... the last few chapters infuriated me even more.  The hero treated the heroine, in public, as if she was lower than a cockroach (yes, the author also "justified" it, and arguably, it is the sort of thing expected from someone of his position in that particular period of time, him being a duke and all).  The heroine is pretty much on her knees begging for him to forgive her. Reading all that I was on WTF mode by the end of the book, even when I skipped chunks of it.

I am going to try a more recent title of this author because the two I read are late 1990s. I so wanted to like her books, again, she has an appealing writing style, but the main elements (characters and plot devices) have been epic failures from my personal point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment